EU - Reinforcement of Chemical Safety in Food Contact Plastic
This time (EU 2017/752) is the reinforcement of chemical safety in food contact plastics. This amendment will be implemented in two phases starting May 19, 2017.
Below are the important highlights:
- Nickel, restricted to no more than 0.02 mg/kg in Annex II (For materials and articles)
- Added 6 substances to the authorized list of substances
- Editorial changes to Table 3 (Choice of simulant) in point 4 to Annex III
- Replacing the residual content of 10 substances with specific migration limits
There are two effective dates for this amendment:
- May 19, 2017 for Regulation (EU) 2017/752 (except for the specific migration of nickel falling under point 1 to Annex II)
- May 19, 2019 for the specific migration of nickel falling under point 1 to Annex II.
|Elements||(EU) 2017/752 amending of (EU) 10/2011
|(EU) 2016/1416 amending of (EU) 10/2011
|1.||Aluminum (Al)||1||1||Not restricted|
|9.||Nickel (Ni)||0.02||Not Restricted||Not restricted|
|Effective Date:||May 19, 2019||September 14, 2018||May 2011|
EU – Amendment to Lead Migration Limit under TSD
It is for last year’s proposed draft on a lead limit. Member States shall apply the new requirements from 28 October 2018.
In point 13 of part III of Annex II to the Toy Safety Directive, the lead migration limits for different toy materials shall be revised as follows:
|Element||Dry, Brittlle, Powder-Like or Pliable Toy Material||Liquid or Sticky Toy Material||Scraped-Off Toy Material|
|Lead||Current limit (mg/kg)||13.5||3.4||160|
|New limit (mg/kg)||2.0||0.5||23|