US: CPSC Approves ASTM F963-17 as a Mandatory Toy Safety Standard
The changes from ASTM F963-16 to ASTM F963-17 are summarized as below:
- Scope: Minor editorial changes of the word “must” to “shall”.
- Referenced documents: Nine new references were added that were mostly related to microbiological guidelines.
- Terminology: The definition of “Driving Mechanism” was removed and the definition of “Cosmetics” was clarified that cosmetics intended to be applied to toys are not subject to the Food, Drugs and Cosmetics Act (FDCA) labelling requirements.
- Safety Requirements: One substantive clarification was made to section 4.21.2, Projectiles Toys with Stored Energy; one non-substantive clarification was made to section 4.21.3, Projectiles Toys without Stored Energy; and one clarification was made to section 4.21.3, Projectiles Toys without Stored Energy. One of the three clarifications (section 4.21.2) had been balloted and approved by the ASTM F15 Committee for Consumer Products for inclusion in the 2016 version, but the wording in section 126.96.36.199 was inadvertently omitted in the test method associated with kinetic energy (KE) of stored energy projectiles in the ASTM F963-16 revision.
- Labeling Requirement: Minor editorial changes only.
- Instructional Literature: Minor editorial changes only.
- Test Methods: An additional sentence was added to the sound-producing toys test method in Section 188.8.131.52(5). This sentence functionally exempts pull/push toys from the A-weighted maximum sound pressure level (LAFmax) requirement. The Commission is not including this language in the mandatory standard.
- Annex: The rationale was added addressing the new language in 184.108.40.206 for projectiles with stored energy.
ALS exhibits in UK Spring Fair 2018
Consumer Product testing, inspection and audit experts from within ALS will exhibit at this important fair. This will provide an opportunity for us to meet up with clients, and offer quality assurance support to enhance their product compliance.
This fair attracts more than 2,500 exhibitors from the UK and other markets. Below are the fair details for your quick reference.
3-8 February 2018 (Saturday - Thursday)
National Exhibition Center, Birmingham
Marston Green, Birmingham B40 1NT, UK
|FAIR DATES||OPENING HOURS|
|3 February (Sat)
Only Volume sector opens
|10:00 - 17:00|
|4-7 February (Sun - Wed)
ALS will exhibit from 4 Feb
|09:00 - 18:00|
|8 February (Thur)||09:00 - 16:00|
The ALS booth can be found in Hall 6Q61. It will be our great pleasure to meet with you in the coming fair and discuss your quality needs on testing, inspection as well as factory audit.
We look forward to seeing you soon and we take this chance to wish you all a Merry Christmas and prosperous year of 2018!