ALS offers this grease testing which provides valuable insight into grease performance and integrity.
The grease testing methodology is outlined in ASTM D7918 Standard Test Method for Measurement of Flow Properties and Evaluation of Wear, Contaminants and Oxidative Properties of Lubricating Grease by Die Extrusion Method and Preparation. Up to eight tests can be performed, including:
- Die extrusion to determine the consistency of the grease by measuring loads at various speeds as the grease is extracted through an orifice slot, then comparing to a baseline sample
- FTIR to detect contamination and oxidation by comparing an overlay of the used grease to the new grease baseline
- Colorimetry testing to observe appearance changes due to overheating, aging, and contamination
- Atomic emission spectrometry to evaluate for wear metals along with additive elements and possible contaminants
- Linear sweep voltammetry to measure antioxidant content which can give an indication of the remaining useful life left on the grease as well as assist in determining proper relubrication cycles
- FdM+ to monitor for wear concentration by determining the amount of ferromagnetic material that is present in the sample
- Analytical ferrography to characterize the types and sizes of wear debris that are present
- Rheology to determine the flow characteristics of the sample.
ALS offers this grease testing which provides valuable insight into grease performance and integrity. With as little as a gram of grease, data can be provided which includes information on:
- Oxidation properties
With the ability to collect representative grease samples and generate repeatable test data in a cost effective and timely manner, predictive maintenance programs can now be updated to include in-service grease analysis as part of their routine evaluations.
- Optimize grease replenishment intervals
- Determine wear trends for critical pieces of equipment
- Detect lubricant mixing or other contamination
- Evaluate failed grease lubricated components
- In-service grease analysis will provide insight into making well-planned, cost-saving maintenance decisions which will lead to optimized asset health and reliability.
Basic and Advanced Grease Thief Sampling kits can be ordered through your ALS customer service representative. If you would like further information on ALS grease testing services please contact one of ALS' Reliability Experts today.