‘On-Ice’ is an innovative technology designed to improve efficiency and combat the problem of core jamming. Jamming is the primary issue associated with coring cost and the degradation of core quality. In general, jamming is more likely to occur where the core is unstable or can no longer support its own weight. Fractures and core sloughing can result in increased friction which prevents the core form further entering the barrel.
The mechanics of jamming must be understood in order to minimize the problem. Jamming occurs when the compressive strength of the core is less than the combined weight of the core and frictional forces prevent further core entry into the inner tube. The only solution is to reduce the frictional forces or limit the length of core cut.
Embarking on a comprehensive research program, ALS developed the breakthrough ‘On-Ice’ liner, supported by the Thin Sleeve System (TSS). ‘On-Ice’ uses a proprietary technology and is a significant step towards reducing the frictional forces that inhibit smooth entry of core. The development of the ‘On-Ice’ liner focused on reducing the frictional forces between the inner barrel and the core, achieving the lowest friction coefficient in the industry.
Thorough experiments and lab tests was performed in order to measure the friction coefficient of industry standard disposable inner tube systems in comparison with the proprietary ‘On-Ice’ system.
Features and Benefits
- ‘On-Ice’ system results in a 61% reduction in resistance to core entry over the next best available system.
- Can be used for any formation type and situation
- Can be used on all our CP Core Barrel Platforms
- There is no reduction of core size due to the use on ‘On-Ice’ Technology
- Available for our Half-Moon liners which allow instant access to the core on surface
- Can be combined with other ALS Jam Detection and Mitigation tools