Corrosion is a Billion Dollar Problem. ALS can ensure that your approach to managing corrosion is inline with industry best practise.
Corrosion is estimated to cost industry hundreds of billions of dollars annually in deterioration of structures, components and machines and associated annual maintenance and repair activities.
The ALS advantage in interpreting and managing corrosion problems stems from the combined skills and experience of our broad team of inspectors, technicians and engineers.
This team provides a holistic solution by firstly assessing and understanding corrosion issues and then consulting with the client to investigate options to manage it operationally. Our advice allows our clients to make confident decisions as to how to manage corrosion challenges and thus reduce the cost of corrosion to their organisation.
- Advanced and Traditional Non-Destructive testing and Inspection techniques to accurately and efficiently assess the extent of corrosion present and map this out in easy to use data sets, ready for interpretation.
- A combination of industry leading inspection capability with best practise access solutions, including remote piloted aircraft (Drone / UAV and/or RPA), remote digital visual inspection (RDVI) and rope access services.
- Expert metallography and microstructural analysis services to examine the exact nature of corrosion at a microscopic level to ensure that corrosion mechanisms are correctly identified.
- Chemical Analysis (XRF, OES) and Scanning Electronic Microscopy (EDAX, EDS) analysis of corrosion deposits to determine detailed information about the nature of corrosion deposits, further supporting accurate interpretation of the cause(s) of corrosion.
- Fitness for Service assessment of corroded components against industry guidelines and standards to determine appropriate inspections plans, inspection intervals and remediation steps.
- Potentiometric surveys of reinforcing in concrete structures and other critical assets.
- Environmental corrosivity surveys and ongoing corrosion monitoring in particular environments.
- Corrosion consulting through our scientists and engineers who assist with understanding the root causes of corrosion, recommendations for corrective action, and repair procedures where required.
- Materials selection advice as to suitability of materials and corrosion protections systems (coatings, cathodic protection) for particular corrosive environments.
ALS has extensive experience in assessing the extent of corrosion in many applications, including:
- Common vessel and tank corrosion mechanisms.
- Corrosion mechanisms associated with coating quality issues.
- Dissimilar metals corrosion.
- Fluid flow corrosion / erosion mechanisms.
- Air Ground Interface (AGI) corrosion.
- Concrete cancer and associated steel / concrete corrosion mechanisms.
- Oil and Gas process corrosion.
- Minerals processing process corrosion.
- Corrosion due to natural environments: Atmospheric, marine and subterranean
- Assets suffering common corrosion mechanisms such Stress Corrosion Cracking (SCC), Corrosion Fatigue etc