ALS’ Hyperspectral Imaging is a non-destructive analytical technique that uses a combination of short-wave infrared light (SWIR) and long-wave infrared light (LWIR) to produce a visual 'map' of the minerals in a core. This relatively inexpensive technology requires no special preparation of the core and produces both image data that shows the textural relationships of the minerals in situ, and digital data that can be imported as curves to display mineralogical variations with depth, much like continuous XRD, alongside petrophysical logs.
• Quick acquisition of spectral data and fast turnaround times.
• An inexpensive solution that provides a continuous mineralogical dataset across the entire core.
• Data is formatted to be easily integrated with existing client data sets.
• Data that can be accessed and scrutinized from any location with internet access.
ALS Oil & Gas utilizes three cameras to simultaneously acquire information over different
wavelengths of the electromagnetic spectrum:
• Long-Wave Infrared (7-13 μm): Our LWIR spectrometer measures responses from
tectosilicates and carbonates, while also allowing identification of other silicate minerals,
hydroxides, sulfates, and phosphates. Our LWIR spectrometer uses a specialized lens to
obtain data at a high resolution of 300-500 μm pixels.
• Short-Wave Infrared (1-2.5 μm): The SWIR allows for identification of carbonates, hydroxides,
sulfates, hydrocarbons, and other silicate minerals, including micas and clays. Our SWIR
spectrometer uses a specialized lens for a high resolution of 300-500 μm pixels.
•RGB (Visible Light): Our RGB camera captures high resolution core photographs under highwattage
white LED lights. Core photography facilitates correlation between mineralogy and
visible features. The resolution of our RGB camera is 160 μm.
• Mineral maps that display the textural relationships of the minerals in a core and distinguish
subtle variations in mineral composition with depth, including carbonates and clay species.
• Curves of mineralogical and textural data that can be imported into any log software or
• Access to both raw spectral data and our hyperspectral interpretation via Intellicore®, a
proprietary, web-based platform that enables clients to view, interrogate and integrate their