ALS is committed to sustainable activities and recognises the need to plan, manage and review those aspects of the business that may have an impact on our people, property, the environment or the communities in which we operate.
Our four key sustainability pillars
We recognise that our employees are the core of our Company and that employee wellbeing is vital to our success as a business. We recognise that our businesses, technology, and people will continue to change. To enable our vision of long term sustainable growth in a changing environment we will continue to develop skilful, insightful leadership abilities and behaviours in our people. We also strive to develop the abilities of our technical experts who energise our culture of innovation.
Health & safety
Diversity & equality
Training & development
Innovation & Technology
Our corporate HSE management system is certified to the ISO14001 and ISO 45001 standards, and requires all businesses to adhere to requirements for the effective management of health, safety and the environment associated with ALS activities.
Operational Environmental Performance
Our most significant contributions to the local economy are from employment, procurement, and the payment of local taxes. In addition, ALS encourages the establishment of locally based programs to support the communities where our employees live and work, focusing on giving to non-profit organisations in the areas of science and education, community development, and environment and conservation.
Our governance framework guides and supports our business operations and activities, provides clear guidance on how authority is exercised, promotes transparency and accountability, and is fundamental to our ability to deliver on our strategy. Our framework enables us to manage potential threats, and to identify opportunities to enhance our sustainability. It defines and provides guidance on the standards of the behaviour and business ethics we expect from those who work for, or with us.
Anti-bribery & corruption
Honesty & integrity
Our achievements this year
Future targets 2020
- No fatalities
- LTIFR < 0.69*
- TRIFR < 1.73*
- PPI Scorecard of 90% or greater
- 100% of compulsory training sessions completed
- ≥ 50% total new female professional hires; female participation of 50% in iLead Program & 40% in 'Executive Development Program'
- Human rights assessments on key suppliers completed in all regions
* per million hours worked
- No unresolved complaints of negative air, noise, or land impact from surrounding neighbours
- Nil environmental prosecutions
- No reportable spill or reportable uncontrolled releases
- Complete yearly business stream waste reduction initiatives
- All regions to record data to enable reporting of global fleet fuel consumption
- > 5% reduction on energy intensity over 3 years with base year FY2018
- Implementation of workplace giving component of 'ALS Cares' framework.
- Economic contribution > AUD 1.8 b
- Roll out of new Whistleblower training
- Embed the new 'Corporate Governance Principles and Recommendations'.