Ultrasonic testing is an efficient inspection method used widely to assist in the monitoring and maintenance of industrial facilities. This knowledge and skill will be your key-stone as you learn how to correctly determine material thickness and recognise anomalies. You will then apply these principles to plate inspection, where you will locate a variety of hidden internal discontinuities.
It is important that once you complete your training you can apply your new knowledge and skills in ‘real life’ situations. The goal of this course is to provide you with not only the ‘how’ but also the ‘why’ aspects to Ultrasonic Plate and Thickness Testing. By knowing why you need to undertake certain processes, you will understand their importance and what to do when you’re faced with scenarios you have not seen before.
Key Learning Outcomes
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
Demonstrate an understanding of the key elements of the use of ultrasound in NDT, including:
- Properties and behaviours of ultrasound
- Generation of ultrasound
- Ultrasonic testing equipment
- Testing methods and calibration
- Application of UTT variables that can impact test results
- Ultrasonic thickness and plate testing techniques
- Ultrasonic thickness testing related codes and standards
- Recording and reporting requirements
- UTT equipment calibrations
- Interpret digital and A-scan displays
- Thickness measurements
- Plate scans
To complete this course successfully, you will need to have materials knowledge and the ability to complete basic algebra. As we want you to have a positive course experience, when you enroll into this course we will give you access to our online courses:
- ‘Mathematics Preparation for NDT and CM Courses’
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for anyone that wants to learn how to conduct ultrasonic plate and thickness testing. While prior experience using this method is beneficial, it is not a pre-requisite. If you want to become certified, you will need to gain the relevant practical experience before applying for certification.