Saturated Low Frequency Eddy Current (SLOFEC) is a leading inspection technique that marries accurate corrosion screening with high-quality reporting.
Saturated Low Frequency Eddy Current (SLOFEC) couples efficient and effective corrosion screening with high-quality, defect reports. The technique combines eddy current principles with a magnetic field to provide a reliable, non-destructive testing solution. SLOFEC inspections are an integral element in a consistent maintenance program for tanks, pipes and beyond. It is integral as the inspection monitors for defects that if left unnoticed could cause avoidable financial expenses, operational delays or pollution to the environment.
SLOFEC is among the most reliable isolated pitting and general scattered and random corrosion detection techniques for both flat and curved surfaces. The method combines precise mapping with digestible reporting which is presented in a display mapping format through the SLOFEC data management and reporting software.
The main applications of this technique are the inspection of large ferro-magnetic surfaces such as:
- Storage tank floor, annular, roof and wall plates
- Pipelines from 4” diameter upwards
- Plant process piping
- Pressure vessels
The SLOFEC technique also has the ability to detect through various non–magnetic coatings such as rubber lining, and cladding types such as yellow jacket, and can scan wall thickness up to 22mm w/t.
Advantages of SLOFEC
SLOFEC techniques provide the ability to rapidly screen large surface areas of magnetic materials and can accurately detect very small and isolate corrosion. The main technical advantages of the SLOFEC technique include:
- Capable of inspecting ferromagnetic and non-ferromagnetic materials (outer surface damage only).
- Efficient inspection time which requires minimal surface preparation.
- High inspection temperature which ranges up to 150°C.
- Capable of detecting corrosion within a large wall thickness range.
- Has unique and useful feature of differentiating between defects on the top-side, under-side and through holes.
- Capability of real time scanning.
- Very high Probability of Detection (POD) for detection and especially useful for the detection of MIC (Microbial Induced Corrosion).
The ALS Approach
ALS continuously looks ahead and regularly invests in the latest technologies available to our industry. With continual advancement and superior customer value a priority, as well as comprehensive training and certification of our technicians, ALS is able to continually deliver the most advanced, efficient and effective inspection methods available in the asset care field.