Over the last decade the regulatory environment has increasingly moved emphasis to chemical destruction or immobilisation rather than the traditional ‘dig and dump’, which can simply move the problem elsewhere – typically to landfills.
Industry is increasingly facing new contaminants including PFCs which present additional challenges to the sector. In response, new remediation products are being developed and marketed to ‘solve’ some of these remediation challenges. In complex situations on major projects, the remediation practitioners are often asked for proof of concept trials to assess treatment options as part of project bids. This may involve establishing fixation, removal or even assessing GAC versus other extraction media. This presents challenges for some companies with locations in office blocks with limited options to perform trials.
While the remediation sector has often built and run trials on site, increasingly industry is using the laboratory controlled environment to fine tune their approach or establish performance before a field pilot study. This is where a bench trial may prove very useful.
What sort of analyses and test do ALS offer in support of such trials?
The tests that are used by ALS vary according to project however common tests include;
- PFC/PFOS/PFOA analysis in waters and soils
- MEP, TCLP, ASLP leaching for metals
- VOC/BTEXN in waters and GAC (activated carbon)
- Speciated Arsenic or Chromium in Water
- Metals in water, solids and sediment
- SVOCs including Dioxins PAHS, OCPs, PCBs in leachates and solids
- TRH and TRH Speciation
What is inside this EnviroMail?
- Considerations and benefits when using a laboratory controlled environment
- Example projects
- Locations, capabilities and who to contact