ALS Tribology capabilities scope and reporting tools provide a wide range of asset reliability testing to complement other maintenance and reliability practices. Testing of brake fluid generally focuses on service life, contamination levels and wear metal particulates. The test package that ALS provides is applicable to glycol based formulations; DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1. Since brake fluid attracts water (hydroscopic), excessive moisture content tends to be a leading concern. Corrosion is also a concern, especially with excessive moisture contamination.
Routine testing generally includes:
- Metals Content
- Water Content
- Boiling Point
- Oil Contamination
Diesel Exhaust Fluid, DEF or AdBlue®, is a urea based diesel exhaust fluid (a catalytic converter to significantly reduce oxides of nitrogen). Diesel Exhaust Fluid is basically a mixture of 32.5% high purity ammonia urea mixed with 67.5% high purity demineralized water. It is important to be able to monitor for contamination and proper urea concentration from time to time. ALS Tribology provides a test package for convenient screening analysis for DEF in vehicles using Selective Catalyst Reduction Exhaust Systems.
- Urea Content
- Oil/Fuel Contamination
- Metals for Contaminants and Corrosion
- Retained Solids
Grease testing samples can provide early indication of issues related to grease degradation and component wear. ALS Tribology has partnered with the Grease Thief® sampling & analysis technology to provide reliable and cost-effective grease analysis. Sampling kits are designed to take samples from a variety of applications. Routine basic and advanced grease testing packages include the following:
- Determination of thinning or thickening of the grease using a Die Extrusion substrate
- Ferrous wear debris (fdM+)
- Oxidation and grease mixing determination by infrared spectroscopy (FTIR)
- Grease Colorimetry for monitoring appearance changes in greases; darkening due to aging or overheating, changes due to contaminants
- Spectroscopy for metals determination; wear, additives, contaminants
- Available active antioxidants additives for continued service life by Linear Sweep Voltammetry (RULER)
- Analytical Ferrography for reporting wear particle formation due to different types of wear mechanisms and their concentration
- Rheology as an advanced test for monitoring proper grease consistency
Our technical staff are available to assist with your asset reliability and condition monitoring testing needs. Data reporting and testing services can be established that fits your service requirements. ALS Tribology can also assist with establishing equipment reliability and maintenance goals through in-service fluids analysis, as well as reporting tools to monitor progress towards those goals. Please feel free to contact our Tribology laboratories for more information.
David Doyle, CLS, OMA I, OMA II